Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||29 High Street|
|Owner:||Mr Sean Innes|
|Existing Use:||Commercial / Residential|
|Date of Construction:||Early 19th Century|
|Heritage Merit:||Conservation Area|
|Listed Building Reference:||Not Applicable|
Patrick O’Hare’s map of 1799 shows a building on the site, which at that time was occupied or owned by a William Bridges. The map indicates there are ‘Town Parks’ on land south of High Street at this point. The existing narrow access between No.27 and No.29 is also present at that time. The 1835 Ordnance Survey shows a similar plan to that which exists today but indicated as being within a continuous terrace, without the passageway between No.27 and No. 29 and possibly with a shorter rear return. The 1859 Ordnance Survey shows a plan, as exists today. Last used as a shoe repair workshop. Vacant since early 1990s.