Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative

Address:  8 High Street
Owner: Mr Danny Magee
Cluster: High Street
Existing Use:  Commercial / Residential
Occupancy:  50%
Date of Construction: Late 18th Century
Heritage Merit: B2 Listed
Listed Building Reference: HB24/01/047
Brief History:

Late 18th century origins, possibly built 1780-1799. No.8 High Street and the flanking warehouses were described by CEB Brett (UAHS Survey of Strangford and Portaferry, 1969) as ‘an outstandingly fine 10 bay-range of 18th century buildings.’ Originally a four-bay detached house, substantial warehouses were subsequently constructed during the early 19th century, adjoining either end of the property and to the rear. Former uses for the warehouses included a starch works and corn stores. Later the buildings were to become the base for the family business W A McMullan. The warehouses to the east and the rear were demolished during the late 20th and early 21st century. The property is currently sub-divided, providing two retail units at ground floor and a self-contained flat at first floor. Refer to NIEA listing description