Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||7 High Street|
|Owner:||Mr Tony McCarthy|
|Date of Construction:||Circa 1780|
|Listed Building Reference:||HB24/01/048|
A building is shown on this site on Patrick O’Hare’s map of 1799 when it was in possession of James McCleery. The 1835 valuation records graded the house 'B', meaning a relatively old building probably built in the latter half of the 18th century, therefore most likely the existing house. Rev. John Orr, Minister of close by Portaferry Presbyterian church and the man responsible for the building of the present church, was resident at the time of the valuation. Orr remained there until the 1870s. The property is shown much as today on the valuation plan of c.1835-38, but with a second, smaller, return to the left at the rear, next to the carriage gateway. On the c.1861 valuation plan, a large walled garden is shown to the rear of the house which still stands. Development proposals have been prepared to develop the rear walled garden for housing and refurbishing the existing house s a single dwelling. The house has been vacant since late1980s.