Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||6 High Street|
|Owner:||Mr Oliver Sloan|
|Date of Construction:||Late 18th Century|
Late 18th or early 19th century origins. Former warehouse associated with No.8 High Street. No.8 High Street and the flanking warehouses are described by CEB Brett, in UAHS Survey of Strangford and Portaferry (1969) as ‘an outstandingly fine 10 bay-range of 18th century buildings.’ The Patrick O’Hare map of 1799 shows the buildings on the site to be in the ownership of a Hugh Dickson. Former uses for the warehouses included a starch works and corn stores. Later the range of buildings including No.8 was to become the base for the family business W A McMullan. Latterly Stewart & James, builders’ merchant, hardware and soft furnishings shop. Vacant since circa 2000.