Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||30 Ferry Street|
|Existing Use:||Commercial / Residential|
|Date of Construction:||Late 18th Century|
|Listed Building Reference:||HB24/01/017 B|
Patrick O’Hare’s map of 1799 shows a building on the corner of Ferry Street with North New Row, now Shore Road. Ferry Street was originally the main road which led through the town to the quay which stood opposite the end of Ferry Street on Shore Road. At that time the site was a single dwelling, extending further up Ferry Street than the existing building, including part of what is now No. 28 Ferry Street. The building was at that time occupied by (?) McKibbin. Although much altered it is likely that the existing building dates from around this time, circa late 18th century. A similar layout is shown on the 1835 Ordnance Survey map. 20th century used as a butchers, meat hooks and rails still evident. The property appears to have last been used as a fisherman’s workshop or store at ground floor. The property is currently vacant.