Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||28 Ferry Street|
|Owner:||Mr Shane Braniff|
|Date of Construction:||Late 18th Century|
|Listed Building Reference:||HB24/01/17 A|
Patrick O’Hare’s map of 1799 shows a building on the site forming part of a terrace of four buildings that extended down Ferry Street to the corner with North New Row now Shore Street. Ferry Street was originally the main road which led through the town to the quay which stood opposite the end of Ferry Street on Shore Road. The site then comprised of two buildings, one occupied by a Mary Murphy (no garden) and the other by (?) McKibbin, which extended to the corner of Ferry Street and what is now Shore Road. Although much altered it is likely that the existing building dates from around this time, circa late 18th century. The property is now a single dwelling but excludes the corner building, now No.30 Ferry Street. The property is currently vacant.