Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||26 Ferry Street|
|Owner:||Mr Shane Braniff|
|Existing Use:||Gap Site|
|Date of Construction:||Not Applicable|
|Heritage Merit:||Conservation Area|
|Listed Building Reference:||Not Applicable|
Gap site. Formerly occupied by two, two-storey, pitched roof dwellings, set at the back edge of the pavement, probably dating from the late 18th century. The Patrick O’Hare map of 1799 shows the site to be occupied by two dwellings then occupied by a Hugh McCleery and a Mary Murphy (nee Gordon). Ferry Street was originally the main road which led through the town to the quay which stood opposite the end of Ferry Street on Shore Road. Remains of the stone front and rear walls to No.26 are evident on the gable end of No. 28 Ferry Street. The east side of Ferry Street was from the 18th originally a continuous terrace. The property was demolished to create access to the rear of Nos. 18-30 Ferry Street and served as a forecourt. Date of demolition not known, possibly mid 20th century.