Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||22-24 Ferry Street|
|Owner:||Mr Shane Braniff|
|Date of Construction:||Early 19th Century|
|Heritage Merit:||B Listed Building|
|Listed Building Reference:||HB24/01/016|
Patrick O’Hare’s map of 1799 shows a building on the site forming part of a short terrace of four buildings that extended down Ferry Street to the corner of North New Row, now Shore Road. Ferry Street was originally the main road which led through the town to the quay which stood opposite the end of Ferry Street on Shore Road. The building was then occupied by a Samuel Johnston. The valuation map of c.1835-38 and the valuation returns tell us that the house on the site at that stage was two storey, of relatively recent construction, and occupied by a John Austin. This is likely to be the building which currently occupies the site. By 1861 the building was occupied by an Eliza Savage. From its design, the large shop front is most likely a late 19th or early 20th century insertion. The painted fascia sign reads Brown. The building was still in use in 1994, but was vacant by mid 1997. The neighbouring property to the south was demolished in the mid 1900s. See also P23, 26 Ferry Street.