Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||18-20 Ferry Street|
|Owner:||Mr Shane Braniff|
|Existing Use:||Commerical / Residential|
|Date of Construction:||Early 19th Century|
|Heritage Merit:||B Listed Building|
|Listed Building Reference:||HB24/01/015|
Patrick O’Hare’s map of 1799 shows a building on the site forming part of a terrace buildings that extended down Ferry Street much as exist today. Ferry Street was originally the main road which led through the town to the quay which stood opposite the end of Ferry Street on Shore Road. The building was then occupied by a Thomas Maxwell. From its design, the current range of buildings is thought to date from the early to mid 19th century, circa 1845. Built as dwelling combined with warehousing to the side and rear. Later ground floor converted for use as Brown’s electrical shop with apartments on upper floors. Building thought to have been occupied until late 1990s now vacant. Warehousing to rear demolished late 1990’s.