Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||13 Ferry Street|
|Date of Construction:||Mid 19th Century|
|Heritage Merit:||Conservation Area|
|Listed Building Reference:||HB24/01/035|
Built mid 19th century. Formerly rear part of No.1 The Strand. The Patrick O’Hare map of 1799 shows the site to be at the end of a short terrace of 4No. dwellings stretching up from the Strand, set forward of No.11 Ferry Street as today. The dwelling was then occupied by a Hugh Donning. The short terrace of 4No. dwellings is thought to have been redeveloped circa 1840s as a single building by a Henry Coates who purchased the building in 1840. It appears likely that he rebuilt the property, since the plan on the c.1835-38 valuation is markedly different from that of 1864. In 'Slater's Directory' of 1846 Henry Coates is listed as proprietor of the 'Harp Inn' and in that of 1856 he is recorded as a 'spirit grocer' but in 1861 valuation returns merely refer to the building as a 'house'. Mr Coates is believed to have sold the property to a Mr Dorrian in 1874 for £400. In 1897 the building was leased to John Trainor, who sold wines, spirits and beers from the premises, and who later bought it outright for £700, and in whose hands and those of his descendants it remained for most of the 20th century. Later Linen and Drapery shop and Fish and Chip shop. Now vacant.