Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||9-11 Ferry Street|
|Date of Construction:||Mid 19th Century|
|Heritage Merit:||B2 Listed Building|
|Listed Building Reference:||HB24/01/018|
Built mid 19th century, circa 1850. The Patrick O’Hare map of 1799 shows the site to be occupied by a single dwelling occupied at the time by a Thomas Maxwell. The valuation returns of c.1835 record that much of the west side of Ferry Street was made up of modest single storey dwellings. The accompanying valuation map shows that this site and most of the ground to the immediate north was taken up with a single, long property, which was owned by a Henry Smith and consisted of a single storey house and 'office', On the valuation map of c.1861 the plan of the site much as it exists today, suggesting that the present house is mid 19th century. At this point the property was in the hands of a Robert Crangle. It is thought that the right hand part of the ground floor was converted for use as a small public house in the early 1900s.