Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||6-8 Church Street|
|Owner:||Mr Connor McCarthy|
|Existing Use:||Commerical / Residential|
|Date of Construction:||Mid 19th Century|
|Heritage Merit:||Conservation Area|
|Listed Building Reference:||HB24/01/139|
Built circa 1850 or later but possibly with earlier 18th century origins. Patrick O’Hare’s 1799 map shows a building on this site in the possession of a James McMullan. The valuation returns of c.1838 state that the house on the site at that stage was an old two storey building in the hands of one Hugh McDowell. The present building appears to represent a raising in height of the 1838 house, but this is not certain. It is also difficult to say whether the shop front is original or not. If original this would suggest that the present building probably dates from the later 1800s. The resident in 1863 is recorded as a Samuel Bailie. The property was abandoned in 1976, after it was damaged by a bomb explosion nearby.