Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||36A The Square|
|Owner:||Mr Gordon Welch|
|Existing Use:||Financial / Residential|
|Date of Construction:||1918|
|Heritage Merit:||B1 Listed Building|
|Listed Building Reference:||Not Applicable|
This former bank, with manager's house, was built in c.1918 by the Northern Banking Company. It operated as a branch until 1972, when The Northern Bank merged with The Belfast Bank and the bank moved to the latter's premises on the other side of road at No.1 The Square. The Patrick O’Hare map of 1799 shows the site to be occupied by a building fronting onto the Market Square with a deep return down the side of Meeting House Lane, then occupied by a Sam Burney.