Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||33-33A The Square|
|Existing Use:||Commercial / Residential|
|Date of Construction:||1780-1799|
|Listed Building Reference:||HB24/01/137|
Patrick O’Hare’s map of 1799 shows a building on this site, then in the possession of a Widow Donning. The valuation returns of 1838 record a grade 'B', relatively old two-storey dwelling house of perhaps c.1790s, then occupied by Widow McKibbin and a Miss Cahey. NIEA suggest it is likely that this is the building which exists today but with minor alteration, particularly to the rear. In 1863 the occupant is recorded as a Mary Morris. During the early 1900s the property was acquired by the Leeman family, who were apparently well known in the locality for holding large tea parties. The shop front to No.33A was inserted some time prior to 1975, with the ground floor of No.33 converted to a shop some time later. The large hall to the rear, which can be accessed through the property or via a side passage inserted after 1900, was hired out for dance, scouts, judo and other uses until the 1950s and possibly later. The property was also run as a small guest house during the 20th century and was extended to the rear to provide additional bedroom accommodation. The property is currently vacant.