Eligible Properties - Portaferry Townscape Heritage Initiative
|Address:||1 The Square|
|Owner:||Mr Harry Anderson|
|Existing Use:||Commercial / Residential|
|Date of Construction:||1936|
|Heritage Merit:||Conservation Area|
|Listed Building Reference:||Not Applicable|
Former bank operated by the Belfast Banking Company. The bank originally operated from premises in the Strand from 1865 before relocating to this purpose built building in the Square in 1936. The site was previously occupied by the Nugent Hotel. The Belfast Banking Company was later taken over by the Ulster Bank and then the Northern Bank which took over the premises in 1972, whilst at the same time vacating its premises on the opposite side of the High Street. The bank closed in 2008. The Patrick O’Hare map of 1799 shows the site to be occupied by a building fronting onto the Market Square then occupied by a Widow Watson.